We have been trying to think of ways for all sisters participate in an activity. This is a walking (or wheeling as needed) activity. We found some information from another ward about this activity. When the Mormon Handcart companies walked to Zion, they walked across Iowa following an existing road about 275 miles to Council Bluffs following a route that is close to the current U.S. Route 6.
After crossing the Missouri River, they paused for a few days at a Mormon outpost in Florence, Nebraska (modern day Omaha) for repairs.
From there they began the remaining 1,030 mile journey along the Mormon Trail to Salt Lake City. So they walked a total of 1,305 miles.
We are blessed as we begin our Walk to Zion.
- We can walk at our leisure
- We can walk in better weather conditions
- We can walk by ourselves or with friends
- We can go home after each walk
- We can walk with good clothing
- We can walk with sturdy shoes
- We can walk with water and/or food
- We can walk in air conditioning/heat if we have a treadmill
- We have no time constraints - unlike the pioneers who had to make it to SLC before the winter weather set in
- We are not going to die on the trail
We are going to take good care of these wonderful bodies we have been given. We would like to collectively walk 1,305 miles as a Relief Society. We would like to reach our goal before Pioneer Day in July. So lace up your walking shoes, grab a friend, put on a pedometer, and start walking. We will place a poster on the Bulletin Board for sisters to add their miles. Even if you only walk or wheel one mile (and it doesn't have to be done all at once either!!!) you can contribute to our Relief Society Walk to Zion. Join us as the Patuxent Ward Relief Society begins our Walk to Zion.
We hope that each sister will participate in the activity. You would be surprised how much walking you do in a day. It all adds up and it all counts. Set a goal for yourself for our walk.